Snort mailing list archives

Handling firewall rejected packets in SNort IPS

From: VES Education <veseducation () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 14:54:09 +0800 (SGT)

Hi,

This is very basic qtn on Snort IPS. Over last few days,I couldn't find answer on net. Our intention is find packet
flow in our application.

We would like to use Snort IPS( Currently we use Snort IDS). If we go for inline mode, whether all incoming packets
would be placed in NF queue by firewall. Suppose a packet is getting rejected in firewall layer how Snort IPS will come
to know it.

As per current my understanding, if a packet is rejected in firewall, it will not go to SNort IPS. Hence IDS feature is
missing in Snort IPS mode.

That means we need to use both Snort IDS mode and inline mode. Is that possible to run two instances of snort in
different modes in same machine.

In project review , there was qtns on Snort IPS mode vs firewall packet flow regarding performance/IDS features in IPS
mode. Can you please share some inputs/reference  on packet flow especially if packet itself rejected in firewall.

In snort user manual I was not able to find solution for given context.

Thanks,
B.Vijayakumar Athithan