Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not seeing IP-traffic, just Ether/Other

From: "Kim.Halavakoski () Crosskey fi" <Kim.Halavakoski () Crosskey fi>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:31:13 +0000

Hi all,
tried the vlan filter earlier, didn't make any difference.
Also, I had not created vlan tagged interfaces since I am receiving
traffic from multiple VLANs and didn't think I needed to confgure each
VLAN interface in order to get the traffic snorted...

But then afer Eoins VLAN interface comments and some googling and
testing setting upp VLAN tagged interfaces I realized that the 8021q
module was not loaded in the kernel.  I tried loading that and created
some VLAN interface for one of the monitored VLANS and voilá, I am now
getting traffic. I did not need to create the VLAN interfaces and have
snort listen to those, just loading the 8021q module solved the issue
and I am now getting the traffic with snort and tcpdump.

So the solution in the end was:

# modprobe 8021q

Thanks guys!

-Kim