Snort mailing list archives

Re: Continuous packet streaming on boot of CentOS 6.3 64 bit

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 04:39:43 -0400

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Mayur Patil <ram.nath241089 () gmail com>wrote:

The snort message is as follows:

Initializing output plugins !!

pcap DAQ is configured to passive.

Acquiring network traffic from "eth0"

Decoding ethernet

    --==Initialization Complete==--

SNort
.
.
.
. //messages of version number
.
.
.

Commencing packet processing (pid=1668)

and stopped there !!

I have unplugged n/w cable and got above output.

Does "shell in" means getting grub console then yes !!

I meant ssh but if unplugging the cable works, that's great.

I can get grub console.

Looking forward for guidance,

I'm guessing that you are still in packet dump mode and that you really
want IDS mode.  Do you know what the command line arguments to Snort are?
 If it is running now you can do something like "ps alx | grep snort" to
see.  You need to add -c snort.conf to run in IDS mode.

*
--
Cheers,
Mayur*