Snort mailing list archives

Re: Still trying to build this box

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:53:17 -0500

On 3/12/2013 10:55, Jim Turner wrote:
Hello Waldo Kitty,

I watched a youtube video where the guy was able to test his logging by pinging
websites.

okay...

Is this no longer an activity that can be logged?

it can be if you have rules for such traffic and they are enabled as well as
looking on the proper interface...

I suspect that I have successfully installed Snort. I would like to know if it
is working before I deploy the box on a network.

Is there any way to verify that everything is working perfectly?

not everything but... ;)

what some blogs and helpers recommend is to create a local.rules file and then
create a rule in there that will alert on everything... make sure that
local.rules is included in your snort.conf and that it is with your other rules
files with the proper permissions... then restart snort... the "catch
everything" rules would be something like these...

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"icmp traffic inbound";
sid:1; rev:1;)
alert icmp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"icmp traffic outbound";
sid:2; rev:1;)
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"tcp traffic inbound"; sid:3;
rev:1;)
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"tcp traffic outbound"; sid:4;
rev:1;)
alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"udp traffic inbound"; sid:5;
rev:1;)
alert udp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"udp traffic outbound"; sid:6;
rev:1;)
alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ip traffic inbound"; sid:7;
rev:1;)
alert ip $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"ip traffic outbound"; sid:8;
rev:1;)

"any" used to be allowed as a protocol but when i tested it just now with snort
2.9.3.1, it didn't like it at all...

you'll want to disable these as soon as possible and restart snort ;)