Snort mailing list archives

Re: Use dyndns to ignore my ip

From: Kevin Ross <kevross33 () googlemail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:03:19 +0000

Depends on your setup. Ideally you should monitor the inside of your
network (like behind firewall) so you only see stuff really getting in
which would mean this is a problem as you can just set your internal
network as the $HOME_NET variable.

However, if you want to see outside or you are using a software firewall
with it included (like pfsense although this should autowhitelist your IP)
you can perhaps look at your current IP in a whois query.

This hopefully should point to your ISP and give you their ranges which you
can add to your $HOME_NET variable. Obviously you will miss anything coming
from their ranges now though as a downside.

Unfortunately DYNDNS type services won't work as snort whitelists are done
by IP. May I ask about your setup? Have you build a sensor from scratch
like using security onion or built yourself or are you using software on
something like PFsense, untangle etc?). Also is this a home or business
type network you want to monitor.