Snort mailing list archives

Re: Recommended hardware for running snort in packet logging mode on home network proxy?

From: Greg Williams <gwillia5 () uccs edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:40:05 +0000

For home I use a customized version of Security Onion on a core 2 duo with 2 gb of ram. The machine runs as a router
for my ISP as well so the modem is set to bridged mode.  I have 2 NICs in it one, one incoming from the modem, the
other one bridged to the PPP connection going my wireless router and the wireless router goes into another switch for
my wired ports around the house.  Works perfectly so there is essentially no way to bypass my connection.  I also have
it logging Snort/Bro information to Splunk so I have non repudiation built into the logging system.  By default
Security Onion runs Bro IDS and Snort,  Bro logs all DNS and HTTP requests and those logs go into Splunk as well.
Splunk sends me at midnight each night a report of all firewall hits off the computer.  Also I use OpenDNS to stop
accidental "blocked" site DNS requests.  I wrote scripts to start everything up automatically so if the power goes out
I don't have to come home and start up the PPP connection and firewall bridge manually if the power goes out.

Greg Williams
IT Security Principal
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs