Snort mailing list archives

server_flow_depth

From: jorbru30 () comcast net
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:38:17 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Everyone,

I understand that HTTP "server_flow_depth" specifies the maximum amount of payload snort detection engine inspects per
flow. Thus more packets are inspected per flow if this value is higher.

I want to understand how "server_flow_depth" affects the detection engine pattern matching process? For instance if
server_flow_depth is set to 5KB, does snort rebuild packets until it captures 5KB, and initiates pattern matching on
the entire payload that is assembled from the flow packets? Or does it just inspect each packet separately and doesn't
assemble packets at all?

I appreciate if anyone can explain the pattern matching process with respect HTTP "server_flow_depth" in more detail.

Thanks!

Jordan.