Snort mailing list archives

Re: MySQL support for Snort 2.9.4

From: Kaya Saman <kayasaman () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:49:01 +0000

On 12/12/2012 04:36 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 12/12/2012 09:49, Russ Combs wrote:
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:
     On 12/11/2012 17:08, Kaya Saman wrote:
      > Starting Snort does give me a few warnings:
      >
      > Running in IDS mode
      >
      > --== Initializing Snort ==--
      > Initializing Output Plugins!
     [...]
      > pcap DAQ configured to passive.
      > Acquiring network traffic from "trunk0".
      > Reload thread starting...
      > Reload thread started, thread 0x205d9a600 (18685)

     pretty much ok to here...

      > Decoding Ethernet

     this bothers me... why? because it seems to indicate that only ethernet is being
     sniffed and not tcp/ip...

FYI - this is just an indication of the outermost layer decoder (the datalink
type obtained from the DAQ).  Snort can handle others, but Ethernet will be the
most common.
ahhh... ok... i'm so used to seeing "Decoding 'ANY' on interface foo"... there
are literally thousands of those still running out there ;)

Thanks for all the useful comments in the meantime even though by the
time they came in I had got everything sorted :-)

I really appreciate that!

Regards,

Kaya