Snort mailing list archives

Re: MySQL support for Snort 2.9.4

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:17:07 -0500

On 12/11/2012 17:02, Kaya Saman wrote:
On 12/11/2012 09:54 PM, Joel Esler wrote:
On Dec 11, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Kaya Saman <kayasaman () gmail com
Unknown MSG (145:3)
Unknown MSG (145:4)
Unknown MSG (145:5)
Unknown MSG (145:6)
Unknown MSG (2:1)

That looks like your sig-msg.map is incorrect or something. Not sure where you
are getting that output from.

This output was from the: sid_changes.log file created by Pulled Pork.

so a pulledpork thing... not snort... that's different since they are maintained
by different entities ;)

Doesn't sound like that was the problem. Looks like you have a larger problem.
Traffic not being received or analyzed correctly. You said that all you were
getting was icmp alerts, and that doesn't sound right (unless that's all you have)

I think you misunderstood, basically I got a whole bunch of p2p ping errors in
the older version. A few tcp messages but that was really only due to the fact
that snort wasn't active long enough as it kept segfaulting with "bus error" as
the output straight after being run. Had it been run for longer and not died
instantaneously I'm sure it would have picked up quite a bit more traffic!!

Even running: tcpdump -ttt -eni trunk0 displays a log of output when run for
only a second or two.

what is your snort command line?