Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort IP Flow monitoring - Patch for writing to a file

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:28:17 -0500

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Dheeraj Gupta <dheeraj.gupta4 () gmail com>wrote:

Hi,
I am using Snort-2.9.3.1. I tried to enable ip-flow monitoring with the
write to file option using the configuration
preprocessor perfmonitor: time 300 file /var/log/snort/snort.stats pktcnt
1000 max_file_size 100000 flow-ip flow-ip-file /var/log/snort/ipflow.csv
flow-ip-memcap 10000000000 time 300

It worked but there was a slight problem - The IP flow statistics were
computed, but written to the file only at the end of snort execution (At
Snort exit). Upon inspection of the source code, the file
src/preprocessors/perf-flow.c did not have an fflush() call in the
definition of the function 'static int WriteFlowIPStats(SFFLOW *sfFlow,
FILE *fp)'. I added an fflush(fp) at line 774 and recompiled snort. The
flow IP monitoring is now working fine (Output is correctly flushed to a
file at end of specified interval). I have enclosed a patch with this mail
which can be applied using
$ cd snort-2.9.3.1
Once you are inside the extracted snort folder
$ patch -p5 < snort_ip_flow.patch

I hope subsequent versions of snort will resolve this issue.

Regards,
Dheeraj

Dheeraj,

Thanks for the patch.  However, this has already been identified and fixed
and will be available in an upcoming snort release.

Todd