Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + PF_RING + DAQ

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:59:09 -0400

On Sep 4, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:
On Sep 4, 2012, at 10:15 AM, Peter Bates <peter.bates () ucl ac uk> wrote:
Hello all

I'd actually be interested in anyone's Snort tuning suggestions
because I'm running Snort + PF_RING pretty much as per the Metaflows
10Gb instructions and still dropping traffic - this is with 1-2Gbps
and about 1000 rules.

Following the Metaflows route I was running 32 instances of Snort (and
32 x Barnyards) and the results were not encouraging.

And before Joel says it, I do know you have a SF box you could sell me ;)

Of course the sales guys do.  I don't.  ;)

That being said, sounds like something else is up.  32 instances of Snort should crush anything.  Lots of RAM
available? Are you cpu pinning the Snort instances?  I'd guess you should get over 10 Gig with that on a off the
shelf box.  Sounds like PF_RING isn't dividing properly or something (or you are running on 386 chips again! -- I
told you about that!)

Seriously though, 32 instances of cpu pinned load balanced Snort should handle a LOT.  Snort should be able to grow
logarithmically with the number of cores on the box.

Correction from a co-worker, I used the wrong phrasing, sorry about that.  I meant:

Snort should be able to grow linearly up to the limits of the bus and interconnects.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT