Snort mailing list archives

Re: Email

From: Nicholas Horton <fivetenets () me com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:46:32 -0400

Thanks. I think it would.

Nick

On Aug 29, 2012, at 8:09 PM, Jason Haar <Jason_Haar () trimble com> wrote:

On 30/08/12 11:51, Greg Williams wrote:
If it were me, I would not do a db search, the database is already
processing stuff.  I would have scripts on all your sensors, monitor
the alert log, and clean the alert log every 5 minutes when the grep
is complete. Saves processing power by only searching the last 5
minutes instead of the entire db.

Wouldn't this be a good output option for barnyard2? I'd love barnyard
to be able to pipe a "snort packet" and metadata at a random program -
so it can for example send an email containing the pcap as an attachment
- or post-processes that packet and decides it's a FP and drops the
whole email alert

Hmmm, I'll bring this up on the barnyard2 list :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +1 408 481 8171