Snort mailing list archives

Re: Quick uricontent question

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:26:15 -0400

James, in this case %u and such are variable fields.  (The theme is digits and the siteID is also digits if it's the
first report)

So, what you'd want is something like this:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"MALWARE-CNC Win.Trojan.Zeroaccess variant outbound
communication"; flow:to_server,established; content:"/counter.img?theme="; nocase; http_uri; content:"&digits=";
nocase; http_uri; distance:0; content:"&siteId="; nocase; http_uri; distance:0; pcre:"/theme\=\d+\&digits\=/Ui";
metadata:policy balanced-ips drop, policy security-ips drop, service http;
reference:url,www.sophos.com/en-us/why-sophos/our-people/technical-papers/zeroaccess-botnet.aspx;
classtype:trojan-activity;)

Now, I haven't tested this against any pcaps or samples, I simply wrote this freehand by looking at the pdf you linked
there.

I'll do some testing and we'll try and get this (or something very similar) out.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT