Snort mailing list archives

Re: Downloads Rules Commented out

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:01:20 -0400

On Jun 22, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Stephen Meier <stephencm () cos edu> wrote:

Good morning all,

I am sure that this is a total noob questions, but I rebuilt my snort box with the latest and greatest snort version.
 When I got it all rebuilt, I was only seeing three distinct alerts coming across the console.  School is out right
now so I didn’t really give it a lot of thought.  But I was doing some networks scans and some pen testing, and no
other alerts were coming across the console.  So I did some looking and the majority of the rules are commented out.
Is this the way that it has always been?   Is there some documentation about this that I need to read?

If you look at the ruleset, you will see something in the majority of the rules called "metadata".

We have connectivity-ips, balanced-ips, and security-ips.

By default, if a rule is placed in balanced-ips (in either alert or drop mode) the rule will be un-commented (on).  If
it's just in security or in no policies, it's commented (off) by default.  If it's in connectivity, it should be in the
other two as well.

So, balanced is the default.  Everything that is in balanced is on by default.  If you want to use the more stringent
policy (security-ips) then you should use PulledPork to manage your ruleset.  You can provide PulledPork the option to
enable this policy simply by using the .conf or a command line argument to the program.

You should use pulledpork anyway, however, since there will be flowbits in some rules that require other rules to be on
to set the state of a session before a rule takes action.  PulledPork will auto-resolve these flowbits for you and turn
them on.

Thanks

--
Joel Esler