Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort sensor on virtual machine...[?]

From: Mike Hale <eyeronic.design () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:40:19 -0700

If you have the funds, a standalone machine is generally better IMO.

You have less of a chance of having a misconfiguration in your
hardware (whereas in the virtual system you have to specifically
configure the vnics/vswitches) as well as better performance (as all
resources on that box are dedicated to that OS).

That said, I'm running snort within OSSIM in a virtual machine being
fed by an NTAP at the network edge.  It works very well for the most
part, though I rarely get above 10mbps.  On that same note, I have had
the NICs within ESXi choke every now and then during some peak traffic
times.

Either way is doable.  I'd recommend you try the virtual solution
first (since you've presumably have the infrastructure in place), and
if you don't like the way it functions, switch to a dedicated box.

- Mike