Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscans doesn't appear in database

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () winsnort com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:33:01 -0400

I'm having no problems viewing portscans in BASE using the 'output database'
and the 'unified2' logging options in Windows (the latest of everything).

Using the 'output database' option:

With Windows I've defaulted: preprocessor sfportscan: proto { all } memcap {
10000000 } sense_level { high } logfile { portscan.log }

I'm getting portscans to the database, the portscan.log is being populated,
and I'm able to view the portscans in BASE.

My base_conf.php has '$portscan_file = 'd:\winids\snort\log\portscan.log';'

Using the 'unified2' option:

When I use unified2 logging I I've defaulted: preprocessor sfportscan: proto
{ all } memcap { 10000000 } sense_level { high }

I'm getting portscans to the database, and I'm able to view the portscans in
BASE.

My base_conf.php has '$portscan_file = '';'

Note: I'm Not selecting the portscan.log because my 'preprocessor
sfportscan:' configuration line is not creating one.

I'm wondering what effect the BASE console is having by not having the
'preprocessor sfportscan:' option line creating a '{ portscan.log }' file,
and BASE not being directed to use the portscan.log file?

Kindest regards,
Michael...