Snort mailing list archives

Re: Proposed Signature - "COMMUNITY SPECIFIC-THREATS - Bredolab infected asset POSTing check-in"

From: Community Signatures <lists () packetmail net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:45:04 -0500

On 03/12/12 13:39, Joel Esler wrote:
Nathan --

I rewrote the rule as such:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"BOTNET-CNC Trojan.Bredolab variant outbound connection";
flow:to_server,established; content:"POST"; http_method; content:"User-Agent|3A 20|Mozilla/4.0|0D 0A|"; http_header;
content:"smk="; depth:4; http_client_body;
reference:url,www.virustotal.com/file/9384733182a6cbe5236b9b253d1f070570b7f6b6ff31aa86be253421f4c5c645/analysis/
<http://www.virustotal.com/file/9384733182a6cbe5236b9b253d1f070570b7f6b6ff31aa86be253421f4c5c645/analysis/>;
classtype:trojan-activity; sid:21562; rev:1;)

Do you see anything wrong there?  I tested it against the pcap you sent
us as well as an internally generated pcap against the family of
malware. And it fires fine.

I think this is better way to have written this, thanks.  The abnormal
header ordering and UA is unique enough coupled with the HTTP POST
payload we should not see false positives.

It didn't occur to me to use 'depth:4; http_client_body;' as a way to
avoid the unnecessary PCRE.

Thanks Joel!

Thanks,
Nathan