Snort mailing list archives

Re: Out of topic: Snort rule doesn't generate alerts when hosts responding simultaneously

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 22:17:13 -0500

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Aymen <aymenco777 () googlemail com> wrote:
Hi all,

I know this post is out of topic of this group! I do this post because
I haven't see any active group dealing with Snort like you, and I hope
the members can help me on my issue.

My issue is:

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"PRIVMSG from an IRC channel
suspecious act"; content:"PRIVMSG"; offset:0; depth:7; nocase;
dsize:<64; flow:to_server,established; tag:session,300,seconds;
classtype:bad-unknown; sid:2000346; rev:4;)

The above rule is written to monitor bots responding messages to the
botmaster. The rule is working fine, but only when one bot making the
respond and there is no alert or even one alert for one host when more
than one host responding simultaneously. I have changed the session
time to 30 or 150 but no luck.

Any tips or tricks to make it efficient?

Thank you all and sorry for any disturbing.

-Aymen

Greetings Aymen,

 i think snort-users () lists sourceforge net is pretty active for snort
question you should go there without hesitation

From my perspective it seem's that the rule is  fine but i would
change  the any any -> any any to something like

$HOME_NET any -> !$HOME_NET any msg :privmsg to irc

and write a second rule that is analog to the first one that looks exactly alike

Except for sid and  using reverse logic for the triggering flow (and
probably change the message to reflect that also)
!$HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET any msg: privmsg from irc

Also try to use tag: session,300,src

I hope this can help you, also i forwarded the msg to snort-users so
sign up there mabey someone will respond with
more information over there!

Hope this helps.

-elz