Snort mailing list archives

Re: var PKT_TIMEOUT in sfdaq.c

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:28:32 -0500

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Michael Altizer <maltizer () sourcefire com>wrote:

 On 02/29/2012 05:00 PM, Guillaume Daleux wrote:

 Hi all,****

** **

We had some problems with snort and snort daq which use 100% of processing
power. After debugging, we saw that our system had a lot of call to poll
function.****

** **

The function poll (call in daq) set with a default snort parameter
(PKT_TIMEOUT = 1000) is called everytime and didn't respect this timeout of
1 second (maybe heisenbug because only one printf removed this problem).**
**

** **

We want to ask you, why this parameter is set to 1000 ms and not -1 ? The
poll function is called to wait packets so why the snort daq uses a timeout
and not directly value -1 which would block until a packet arrive ?****

** **

Can we patch snort and change PKT_TIMEOUT to -1 ?****

** **

** **

Thanks for your answer.****

** **

** **

 Snort does certain "idle work" (see snort.c:SnortIdle()) each time the
DAQ acquire call returns.  If you made the call fully blocking, it would
only return in the case of an error/signal/breakloop, and that code would
not execute [often enough] when the packet rate is too low.

I do not know why the timeout was being ignored in your case, which seems
to be the real issue.  You have not mentioned which DAQ module you are
using.

If you are mucking about in the code, it would help to know what the call
to poll() is returning as well.