Snort mailing list archives

daq configure script options related to libpcap?

From: Alex Morris <axman.5389 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:04:25 +0200

Question;  the configure script options for daq 0.6.2
  --with-libpcap-includes=DIR    libpcap include directory
  --with-libpcap-libraries=DIR   libpcap library directory

Are these just a tease?  Or do they really let me point to location of
libpcap in cases where multiple libpcaps are installed?

Problem;  I have libpcap 1.2.1 built from source and installed
/usr/local/snortbuild.  Attempt to run configure script for daq-0.6.2
fails, it thinks libpcap is not new enough version.  Use above configure
script options, but no joy.

Constraint;  I am trying to build on a "compile host" where older version
of libpcap packages are present and installed to the standard location.  I
do not wish to remove them.  Dependencies to other stuff..

I have read lists and docs telling how to "fix" this, but they all involve
removing/replacing libpcap.  I know how to do that, but for the moment, and
due to above mentioned constraints, I prefer not to do it.

Possibilities to work around;

a) remove existing libpcap packages, build & install from source to
standard location, build my stuff, remove my source-built libpcap,
re-install standard packages..  sigh.

b) re-name existing libpcap libs & headers, build & install from source to
standard location, build my stuff, remove source-built libpcap, libpcap
files names returned to default.  ...

c) understand how to use configure script which (in theory) allows pointing
to location of new libpcap version.

Suggestions are most welcome.
B/r,
alex

____________________________
Details;

CentOS 5.7 x86_64
Linux foo 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Sep 6 20:57:11 EDT 2011 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

daq-0.6.2
snort-2.9.2.1
libdnet-1.12
libpcap-1.2.1

Notes;

libdnet on Google is 1.12.  The PDF doc Snort_2.9.1_CentOS_5 pdf (on
snort.org/docs) says libdnet beyond 1.0.2a won't work.  But the URL in this
pdf shows location of download as getting it from Google, which is 1.12..
?  Most probably a typo..

Notes2;

I test built daq and snort on Ubuntu 11.10 from source, satisfying other
dependencies with packages.  libdnet (libdumbnet in Ubuntu due to name
conflict) came from package.  libpcap came from package.  It all worked,
even though libpcap version is not >= 1.0.0.

Since I did not have a similar failure building in this OS, I wondered what
happened.  Noticed a trick that was done for libpcap..  I didn't perform
this trick, but to be honest, I don't know which build/install process did.

    Linux castor 3.0.0-16-generic-pae #28-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 27 19:24:01
UTC 2012 i686         i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    libpcap0.8 1.1.1-8 on Ubuntu 11.10
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpcap.so.0.8
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpcap.so.1.1.1