Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-Users] about capturing packets

From: Kevin Ross <kevross33 () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:31:25 +0000

By normal I assume you mean everything else (full packet capture?) and
affected I guess you mean logging the actual packet that triggered the
alert?

For logging the actual packet have snort logging to unified2 as it is
faster and then setup a database and have barnyard2 alerting to the
database. For normal packets I suggest if you have the disk space using
daemonlogger/openfpc to provide full packet capture and alerting
http://www.openfpc.org/ it can even be used with snorby to get the packets
you want http://snorby.org/. Various installation guides and what you need
can be found on the respective websites and the snort documentation.

Kind Regards,
Kevin Ross