Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-users] Public Bugzilla? [was: threshold -- is it really deprecated?]

From: Joshua Kinard <kumba () gentoo org>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 04:08:57 -0500

On 02/05/2012 00:57, Joel Esler wrote:

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 02:45:05PM -0500, Joshua Kinard wrote:
On 01/23/2012 11:18, Joel Esler wrote:

Just let everyone know what we've done as a result of this conversation.
 We've put in a couple of bugs to track this/these issue/issues and we're
going to evaluate what we can do to satisfy the requirements/opinions
stated here.  I'll follow up with this thread when we make progress.

Slight deviation in topic, but have you guys ever thought of making Snort's
internal bugzilla (or other such issue tracker) publicly-accessible?  I
imagine there's some things you guys want to keep to yourself, and most
ticketing systems should have a "developer only" bit in them.

Might help better manage comments/ideas/bugs/patches from the community if
we can file those into a ticket tracker and then get CC'ed when updates happen.

Followup to this.  We had a bugzilla system.  It seems that no one ever used it.  It's different from our internal
bugzilla system that we actually commit code with and annotate.  So I made the decision to kill it.  Reason being,
most bugs and feature requests are submitted through the bugs[@] email address.  I handle all the bugs that come into
the system through the community anyway and provide feedback to the reporters when I know more.  I think to have a
bugzilla system public would be the same thing, another system for me to log into and move the bugs to our internal
system, and vice versa.

I thought about encouraging the devel team to use the public system, but we can't as things affect product as well,
as don't have a public product system as not all of our code is open source.

So I think the way the community has been submitting bugs up to this point is working for us just fine, I see no need
to make another process for people to deal with, both externally, and internally.

Sounds good.  LKML ran for years before adding a public bugzilla to deal
with those that like that system.  I'd say that, 95% of patches and bugs
still come in on that mailing list, though, so it's a system that works.
Worth an inquiry.

Cheers!

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic