Snort mailing list archives

Re: Decoder Alerts (config options ignored?)

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:13:07 -0500

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Code Six <code.c6 () gmail com> wrote:

Sorry forgot to hit Replay All :)

I have one configuration file specified snort.conf

I have  a BPF configuration file specified and that is all that is
included in the startup.

Snort is started with the following:

snort -vv -D -q -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/rules/snort.conf -i $INT
-F /etc/snort/excludes/excludes.config

I put the –snaplen 1518 in there to get rid of some of the noise generated
by the decoder alerts due to it ignoring the disable_decode_alerts
configuration item.

I have 3 sensors – 2 are on ubunto and 1 on debian

The debian sensor doesn’t appear to have these issues but are running
2.9.0.5 at this time.

The ubuntu sensors were upgraded to 2.9.2.0 – I have reverted them back to
2.8.6.1 as I have been unsuccessful at determining why that configuration
line is being ignored.

Both ubunto sensors operate independent of each other and have their own
configs.

The debian server also operates independent of the other two and has it’s
own config.

There are not multiple configs unless the installation when started reads
a default location unknown to me other than the one specified by –c in the
startup.

There is only one snort.conf in the location specified on both servers.

I find it extremely odd that not one, but both ubuntu servers are
experiencing this issue.

This issue occurs regardless of compiling with
–enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules or not.

I can disable all rules in the rules directory and in the configuration
file – and this issue still occurs.

Even starting it manually without the above options – this still occurs.

I am quite perplexed. I’m ready to upgrade my hardware and throw debian or
red hat on the new boxes and start over.

What’s even more crazy is the following from the initialization output:

Jan 19 14:35:12 ids1 snort[24319]: 13391 Snort rules read

Jan 19 14:35:12 ids1 snort[24319]:     13138 detection rules

Jan 19 14:35:12 ids1 snort[24319]:     0 decoder rules

Jan 19 14:35:12 ids1 snort[24319]:     253 preprocessor rules

Jan 19 14:35:12 ids1 snort[24319]: 13391 Option Chains linked into 735
Chain Headers

Jan 19 14:35:12 ids1 snort[24319]: 0 Dynamic rules

Jan 19 14:35:12 ids1 snort[24319]:

Notice 0 decoder rules loaded?

But yet I still get these

Jan 19 14:35:31 neo-edgeids1 snort[24320]: (snort_decoder) WARNING:
Experimental Tcp Options found

Jan 19 14:35:31 neo-edgeids1 snort[24320]: (snort_decoder) WARNING:
Experimental Tcp Options found

Jan 19 14:35:31 neo-edgeids1 snort[24320]: (snort_decoder) WARNING:
Experimental Tcp Options found

And I had to suppress everything else – I suppressed the entire listing of
decoder rules because the config option to disable them isn’t working.

Now if what you are saying is I can’t have two config lines in the startup
command from any option –c (config) –F (bpf) or anything then that should
be explicitly stated in the manual.

As the manual reads “multiple configs” as though it means multiple
“snort.conf” or base configuration files.

Yes, it means multiple snort.conf type configs.  The -F <bpf> is entirely
different.

Do you have "config autogenerate_preprocessor_decoder_rules" enabled?

Check your logs for "Generating OTN for GID: 116, SID: XXX" messages.

Please clarify!

Thank you,

A.     A.  Smith