Snort mailing list archives

Decoder Alerts (config options ignored?)

From: Code Six <code.c6 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:42:02 -0600

The last time I e-mailed in about this I don't believe I received a
response and I ended up simply reverting back to the older version that
worked fine.
Well, I've attempted to upgrade again - from 2.8.6.1 to 2.9.2

Here's the issue:
Even with the following set:

config disable_decode_alerts
config checksum_mode: noudp noip notcp
config disable_tcpopt_alerts
config disable_tcpopt_experimental_alerts
config disable_tcpopt_obsolete_alerts
config disable_tcpopt_ttcp_alerts
config disable_ipopt_alerts

I'm still getting the full list of decoder alerts in my traffic.

I start snort with the following options:
-vv -D -q -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/rules/snort.conf -i $INT -F
/etc/snort/excludes/excludes.config --snaplen 1518

The snaplen set to 1518 seems to help with one particular alert (WARNING:
IP dgm len > captured len), but I have had to suppress all the decoder
alerts.
The one I can't get rid of is  WARNING: Experimental Tcp Options found
Even though that also is disabled in the config.

This is on an ubuntu machine (lucid) 10.04

Snort was configured with the following options:
./configure --enable-64bit-gcc --enable-ipv6 --enable-ppm
--enable-perfprofiling --enable-linux-smp-stats --enable-pthread
--enable-ppm-test --enable-reload --with-mysql --enable-large-pcap
--enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules --enable-dynamicplugin

Any insight is appreciated as I I'm likely just missing something obvious.

Thank you!

A.