Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-NIDS inline mode configuration questions

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 13:20:29 -0400

Yes, IMO, you should run it on the internal side.  Let the Firewall keep the kruft out and the IPS examine what gets
through..

On May 20, 2011, at 10:14 AM, lay rando wrote:

I want to run snort on my homenet as NIDS probably in inline mode i
compiled snort already with all daq features.
my question is which networkcard i have to run in promiscuous mode and
on which device and how should snort be started
ive readed that snort should better run on the internal side due
security reasons but im not really sure if thats in this case right.

here is my net configuration:
router                        ->      ext eth1        ->      fw masquerade   ->      int eth0        -> switch
10.10.11.10                   10.10.11.20                                             10.10.1.1

is there anything special iptables related i should know for my setup?

iptables uses the QUEUE devel module to send things to DAQ/Snort, you'll need to install something like iptables-devel,
and alter your rules in iptables to send things to the QUEUE (-j QUEUE) for DAQ to pick it up.