Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-NIDS inline mode configuration questions

From: Kevin Ross <kevross33 () googlemail com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 16:13:24 +0100

For a homenet I would recommend smoothwall as an easy choice with some
choice addons, namely:

- Guardian (active response, blocks ip addresses based on snort alerts for a
period of time)
http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30245

- Snort 2.8.6.1
http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36435

- Blackhole DNS (resolves DNS queries for tens of thousands of malware
domains, mainly from malwaredomains.com which it updates to loopback
127.0.0.1 so your clients don't connect to them)
http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26030

And there are plenty others. This would mean (with some configuration,
putting on the emergingthreats.net rules etc you get a firewall, DNS
blackhole, snort with active response and so on.

If you are running it on your network key things are:
- It can see the traffic (inline this isn't a problem, IDS would mean
mirroring the port or being able to see the traffic such as on the gateway).
- internally you get less alerts that are more appropriate (i.e you will see
malware internal to your network and stuff that has made it into your
network. I would recommend running the emergingthreats snort rules too for
the malware detection they offer as well as other stuff.