Snort mailing list archives

Re: Intel X520 and Multi-Queue Snort

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 17:16:36 -0400

 Actually, I take that
back--TCP analysis would tell you if you're dropping packets, but that
would be expensive to compute (comparatively) and frequently wrong.
In any case, I think we have different ideas about the "core" of the
problem.  You seem to be saying that the "core" to you is getting
packets from the wire to Snort.  To me, the most important issue is
whether I'm actually inspecting the traffic I think I am, which
includes the entire supply and output chain for Snort.  It's a first
indicator, and does require more fine-grained stats from things like
DAQ to fully investigate.

If a span drop traffic its a span issue. And if you know that some of
the ports your monitoring are
overloading your span , mabey you could rething how your monitoring goes.

What you call the entire output chain of snort also includes the time
it takes from
detection to logging and  this type of backlog can't be detected by a
simple singature heartbeat
(unless you also encode some information that is parsed while
processing the specific signature by a compiled rule or others means
that requires code).

I will say, however, that I've learned not to trust a single counter
on the Snort box, kernel or otherwise.  I've even been burned on Cisco
counters before.  That's when I decided enough was enough, I didn't
care about the exact tenths of a percent being dropped, I just wanted
the actual truth for a change: if a URL is requested matching a given
pattern, will I know about it?

Counter is a counter, computers are computers, human interpreting
information is something else.
Everyone can be fooled by a computer if they do not take the time to
check if they lie.

My main question would be if your sniffing outside at the edge of your
network, do to sniff inside also?

No, gateway only.  Intra-datacenter IDS has an incredibly small payoff
for a huge amount of time and money.  Monitoring internal
client-server traffic is most easily done with comprehensive audit
logging and network flows.

Ah ... i guess it all boils down to perception and conception.
I allways had the impression that its easyer to monitor 50 little
streams than a huge convergent stream.

 Once you get all of that implemented, then
you can worry about putting IDS between your clients and servers.
Getting events forwarded from your Windows boxes to a central location
is a far more worthwhile investment--especially when you see the
granularity that Server 2k8 gives you (per-packet connection stats,
better process auditing, etc.).

Perf monitor has been there since NT... (and it was to generate events
back then also).

 If you have all of that and are still
bored, have fun digging through the mountain of FP's that your legit
business traffic generates.  I'm not saying it's impossible to do,
just do it last because it's the most work with the least amount of
payoff.  At the end of the day, don't you really want to know what an
attacker was doing anyway?  Process accounting logs can give you
incredible insight into that.  Database logs can tell you when tables
were altered, etc., etc.

Im sure you have enough FP with ~7kish signature enabled on the
internet i understand your concern.

Anyways im stepping out of this since i guess its quite turned as an
offtopic issue Which i wouldn't mind to speak of off-list.

Sorry s-usr readers.
-elz