Snort mailing list archives

Intel X520 and Multi-Queue Snort

From: Mike Lococo <mike.lococo () nyu edu>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:00:03 -0400

Hi Folks,

I'm just getting started testing an Intel X520 capture card, with the
goal of using it to perform multi-queue snorting.  I'd like to have 8-12
snort processes each receiving a fraction of the traffic coming in off
of the 10G physical interface on the card, with traffic distributed in
some flow-aware manner like hashing the IP/proto/port values for each
packet.

I understand that linux has some kind of built-in multi-queue
technology, but I'm not finding any user-space tools to manipulate or
configure it.  I'm also finding very little high-level documentation or
discussion of folks that use the feature for network-monitoring
applications.  Are the built-in linux features useful for scaling snort
across multiple-cpu's, or is the feature aimed at a fundamentally
different use-case?

I also understand that pfring can be used with this card, and that there
is some reasonable documentation around doing so.  Before I got too far
into that framework, I wanted to see what (if anything) is possible with
native-linux features.  Is the general consensus among owners of this
card that PFRING is the way to go?

Cheers,
Mike Lococo