Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort is logging alerts but not capturing corresponding packets for some rules

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:46:37 -0400

No.  They are in unified.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>wrote:

On 4/26/2011 14:57, Joel Esler wrote:
No, it's my fault, I should have recognized the problem.

Alerts that are not based off of the pseudo packet are logged to tcpdump.

The pseudo packet is created by stream5 internal to Snort to be able to
fire on
stream reassembled traffic (such as this).  It's only externally logged
via unified.

so... we don't get a pcap of the packets used in the reassembly so that we
can
snoop the actual traffic?? if so, that doesn't seem right... we get pcaps
for
all the other alerts but just not for ones reassembled... am i
understanding
that correctly?