Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort is logging alerts but not capturing corresponding packets for some rules

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:55:45 -0600

Howdy Joel :)

The issue is just that my friendŠ.some alerts fire, log to the .fast file
(even enabled the .full one as well), but when you go to the pcap, it's just
not there.  I can see other entries before and after, but not the one that I
was looking for.  Odd thing is, most of the ones that miss are WEB-* ones.
I'll see what I can find tomorrow when I get to work to put togetherŠI know
I've got instances where the alert fired, logged to the fast, didn't in the
snort pcap, but I have a pcap in my FPC.  Thanks again.

James