Snort mailing list archives

Multiple sensors one database

From: "Atkins, Dwane P" <ATKINSD () uthscsa edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:03:19 +0000

Good afternoon,

We are running two snort devices and attempting to get them both to record to one mysql database.

Created database snort.  Assigned permissions to sensor1@10.10.10.10<mailto:sensor1@10.10.10.10> and
sensor2@10.10.10.11<mailto:sensor2@10.10.10.11>.  I installed Snort 2.9.0.5 schema so that databases would all look the
same. Yes, I did have a single mysql database on each sensor but was told in that in order to run a particular
Application, I would need a single database.

We are using Snort 2.9.0.5 on Ubuntu 10.04.01 LTS.  We are using Barnyard2.  In the Barnyard2.conf file, we have an
entry, "output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=snortpass dbname=snort host=10.10.12.1 sensor_name='sensor1'
and have an identical entry for the second sensor.

I have not made any configuration changes the my.cnf.  It currently binds to 127.0.0.1 but should I have it bind to the
Master

# Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
bind-address            = 10.10.12.1

Is there anywhere else I need to check?  Do I need to shutdown mysql on each sensor now?

Thank you

Dwane