Snort mailing list archives

Re: BASE or Snort Report ???

From: Jun Wan <junwei_wan () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 14:05:19 +0000

I couldn't agree more with Bamm, BASE & Snort Report are good for Snort beginner like me. I was so excited when I saw
all the alerts from Base & Snort Report, then I learned how to tune rules and make BASE and Snort Report more user
friendly, it was fun. I found Sguil is fantastic when I would like to use Snort to dig information a bit deeper
including what rules produced which alerts? was the attack successful? which servers were compromised and which servers
weren't compromised? What does the signature pattern look like? assignment description/comments/escalation of the
alerts, real time alert counter, wireshark, DNS lookup, etc and more. All these information are in one NSM tool---Sguil.

I 've only had 6 months of experience with BASE and Snort Report, and 2 weeks' with Sguil, I think Sguil is a more
comprehensive tool than BASE and Snort Report regarding detailed information

I will try Snorby one day and I believe it would be another fantastic NSM tool as many recommended it.

That's my 2c