Snort mailing list archives

Re: freebsd/snort 2.9.0.3 daq: how do I verify it is using the ram?

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:55:18 -0600

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 02:20:54PM -0500, Michael Scheidell wrote:
sysctl net.bpf.bufsize=536870912
net.bpf.bufsize: 4096 -> 536870912
sysctl net.bpf
net.bpf.maxinsns: 512
net.bpf.maxbufsize: 1073741824
net.bpf.bufsize: 536870912

restart snort.
so, I am still wondering if snort is using daq !

that was fun.  it just caused the system to reboot.

You're probably running out of kernel memory. Remember, each instance of a
bpf program will suck up $bpf.bufsize of memory. Not sure what sort of
KVA_PAGES setting is compiled in your kernel and what your vm.kmem_size and
vm.kmem_size_max settings are.

BTW: I found that any bpf size greater than 10 MB seems to be a waste of
memory. At least in my setup, 10485760 for bufsiz and maxbufsiz seems
plenty, with no dropped packets.

Cheers,
Frank