Snort mailing list archives

setting up portscan

From: "Bouma, Wobbe" <wobbe.bouma () nl imptob com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:27:14 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to get sfportscan working but so far I've failed. And slowly
my level of frustration is growing.

I've done an Ubuntu v10.04.1 installation using the manual on the
snort.org website. I've added B.A.S.E to look at the alerts.

I've added the following line to snort.conf

preprocessor sfportscan: proto { all } scan_type { all } sense_level {
medium} memcap {1000000 }

Snort is connected with eth1 to a mirror port on the switch that mirrors
all data that goes onto the WAN.

Now I'm logging in to a server in another WAN location and start a port
scan to one of my servers.

Unfortunately I don't see any alerts in B.A.S.E.

The only other thing I have changed so far is the HOME_NET variable.
I've set this to only monitor the servers IP range.

If I didn't do that Snort would log a million ICPM alerts in a day.
Almost all of them from the Cisco routers.

So what am I missing here?

Kind regards,

WB

Imperial Tobacco Limited and Group Companies

www.imperial-tobacco.com

This email is confidential and may contain information that is privileged and exempt from disclosure by law. If you
have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return email and then delete it from your system;
you should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. Imperial Tobacco Limited and Group Companies reserve the
right to monitor all email communications through their networks. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be
error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us
by email is taken to accept these risks.