Snort mailing list archives

Re: FTP passive data transfer FP's and flowbits

From: CunningPike <cunningpike () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:39:28 -0800

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com> wrote:
I think Jason's explanation helps a lot.

Joel, here's what you guys can do to improve things:  Firstly, stop
issuing preproc alerts from FTP.  If someone could tell me when this
has actually led to witnessing an attempted break-in, I'd really like
to hear it.  You could go a step further and focus on getting the data
in a buffer available to content match if a rule wants it that way.  I
would argue that this technique should be done for all the preprocs.
That is, there should be no other generator ID's other than 1.  All
alerts should be in the form of a rule which refer to specific buffers
(ftp_data, ssl_cert, etc.) similar to http_uri.  Now that you guys
have your shiny new SO to debug buffers, this should be easier to
develop.  That will go a long way towards simplifying configurations
as well as making it crystal-clear what rules can trigger along the
lines of the way the text hooks for the SO rules work.

This gets two thumbs up from me.

CP