Snort mailing list archives

Re: FTP passive data transfer FP's and flowbits

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:26:45 -0700

I've never personally seen it, but the FTP preprocessor rules may be able to alert you to zero-day exploits against an
FTP server, mainly  due to the command length and string settings.

Unfortunately, the settings as given in the snort distro, false positive a lot with my FTP servers (mostly Windows IIS,
but also Unix/Linux.)  I've had to adjust the settings quite a bit to get the false positive rate down, which may have
eliminated most of the potential benefit I'm getting from the ftp preprocessor.

I'll have to look at the VRT settings for the ftp preprocessor to see if they are "pre-tuned" any different than the
snort distro snort.conf.