Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort version vs Snort rules version

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:46:53 -0500

You are correct.  I apologize.

You can use OLDER versions of rules with NEWER versions of Snort.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM, NA <dustypath () comcast net> wrote:

Sorry to belabor the point,

I am thinking you mean any OLD version of rules works with any NEWER
version of Snort by default (leaving out possible rule writing changes
done years ago, if any, for the sake of discussion). To tighten it up
further is it the recommendation or is it you HAVE to use the matching
or lower version ruleset of the Snort version installed?

The reply below seems conflicted, did you mean:

You can't use 2.9.0.3 rules (for example) with 2.9.0.2?

Btoo