Snort mailing list archives

Re: OpenBSD 4.8 / Snort 2.9.0.3 -- libsf_engine.so missing

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:14:55 -0500

On 1/3/2011 2:45 PM, Nigel Houghton wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 10:56:49 -0500, Randal T. Rioux wrote:
On 1/3/2011 10:46 AM, Nigel Houghton wrote:

We have been working on providing the shared object rules for OpenBSD
as part of the supported platforms in the rule releases. We had a
similar problem with the engine not making a shared object. We have
solved this problem, we will have a blog post up sometime today that
describes the issue and presents the solution.

Expect OpenBSD shared object rules pretty soon. Maybe not in the next
rule release, but shortly thereafter. We still have some testing to do
with them.

This is great news, thanks Nigel (and the Snort team)!

The blog post describing the issue and giving the fix can be found here:

http://vrt-sourcefire.blogspot.com/2011/01/successfully-building-shared-object.html

So... close... it hurts!

Ok, that helped a lot. Now I get:

ERROR: Can't find pcap DAQ!
Fatal Error, Quitting..

After a fairly promising initialization process. I'm going to start with
a fresh box and post my results tomorrow. I'm sure the cat stepping on
my keyboard borked a configure string somewhere.

Follow me here:

http://www.procyonlabs.com/guides/openbsd/snort/

Stand by...

Thanks!