Snort mailing list archives

Re: can snort help detect bad spans?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:06:54 -0400

So, you are saying if the ports on the switch were upgraded, but the 100M SPAN port will struggle?  Yes.

Things to look for is a maxed out Stream count in perfstats, and dropped packets.  Your dropped packet rate should go
up as your session table is full and starts purging.  It'll purge because it can't see all the open streams, and thusly
will drop.

Your answer lies in perfstats.  Hard to explain, I've seen it a couple of a dozen times, but if you know what you are
looking at in the perfstats, it sticks right out.