Snort mailing list archives

can snort help detect bad spans?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:21:12 +1300

Hi there

We recently had an incident where an existing SPAN port had been allowed
to get overloaded by the network group: you know, they spanned a VLAN
and then upgraded from 100M to 1G switches without thinking the 100M
SPAN port might struggle ;-)

Anyway, is there any way snort could pick that up? I'm thinking the TCP
streams must have been seriously corrupted for starters (i.e sequence
numbers with huge gaps) - does that show up in the stats anywhere?

Any other ideas for monitoring the quality of SPANs?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417