Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them?Nobody?

From: "Weir, Jason" <jason.weir () nhrs org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:55:45 -0400

But in the case of this rule #1313 - VRT no longer distributes it..
They retired it - but ET still has at least 6 versions of it.

Say I'm a VRT subscriber, so I get their GPL rules - I also wanna run
the ET rules so I get their Open-NoGPL rules..  I don't get #1313 - what
else don't I get?

See the problem here - ET is already maintaining those rules and by
porting them to Suricata they have already forked them..

You can't push a Suricata only modification back up the chain to VRT.

The rule sets need to stand on their own...  And that means different
sid ranges across the board...

-J