Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them?Nobody?

From: "Weir, Jason" <jason.weir () nhrs org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:18:06 -0400

I should apologize for bringing this up - but the discussion has been at
times entertaining...

This is the crux of the problem - from an end users perspective..

I had what I thought was a FP on sid #1313.. I sent a note to the snort
sigs list - Nigel informed me that they had no such rule...

Hmmm, I thought the VRT was maintaining and distributing the GPL rules -
did a search and he was correct, no sid #1313

Some more looking - the sig came from ET - so I send a note to the et
sigs list..  Whoa, they don't maintain them either (I knew that duh)...

So the folks that maintain them wont and either will the folks that just
distribute them - come on guys!

If I choose to run multiple rule sets then duplicates are my problem -
why should ET or VRT care?  You guys need to put out the most
comprehensive rule set you can.  Who cares what the competition does..
Your end users surely don't!

This isn't about snort vs. suritica or ids vs. malware or not - ET and
VRT have different views of the world and again your end users don't
care!

I want a rule set that works and the GPL mess is broken...  When I have
a question on a rule I need to know without a doubt where to go for help
- it's that simple...

Again my suggestion is do away with the GPL set completely - if that
means renaming and residing them (with or without reference to the old
rule) so be it...  Make the rule set stand on its own and let me deal
with duplicates...

-J