Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: JJC <cummingsj () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:44:13 -0700

To address this, the logic behind PP does just what Jason had said...
if you have rules that are looking for flowbits:isset values, it
enables the respective, and required, flowbits:set values.

Further, if you have specified a flowbits:set rule to be explicitly
disabled in the disablesid.conf section and PP needs to automatically
re-enable that due to it being a dependency of other rules, it will do
so.. and Shawn, to address your concern.. that was a feature request
that has been added to the current version that can be found in the
svn repo.  I anticipate having a release out soon, it contains
numerous bug-fixes and feature enhancements.. I'm just waiting on some
code commits to complete.

Consider this logic re: flowbit auto re-enabling:

I have 3 critical rules that look for current 0-day type traffic..
they all contain flowbits:isset,this.foo; and you disabled the rule
that contains flowbits:set,this.foo; because it was generating an
event like "POLICY this schmuck downloaded tha foo!" and you did not
want to see that.  By disabling, and subsequently not re-enabling the
rule containing flowbits:set,this.foo; you would be silently disabling
the other 3 critical rules that relied on that flowbit, make sense?

JJC

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Jefferson, Shawn