Snort mailing list archives

Re: Best practices for very high volume install..

From: Joe Pampel <jpampel () paladyne com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:28:48 -0500

Use a tap to break it into 2 or more 1G sessions and use n+1 sensors.

Joe Pampel

Sent from my iPhone4 with more Gbs

On Dec 20, 2010, at 6:21 PM, "Wil Schultz" <wschultz () bsdboy com> wrote:

Hey there, have a very high traffic install (snort 2.9/barnyard2) that I'm trying to get into a good and usable
position.

At this point I've got a gig port that's saturated to the box so we're going to do a 2g port-channel here in a bit.

So far I've come to the conclusion that mysql binary logging isn't realistic, so it's been turned off.

Additionally I've got a script that runs at midnight to purge alerts that are greater than 2 days old.

I'm considering putting the database into RAM for a little more speed.

Does anyone else have some other best practice type suggestions for a very high traffic box?

-wil

The information contained in this correspondence is intended solely for the person or entity entitled to receive the
confidential and/or privileged material that it may contain. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, the information in this correspondence (including any attachments) by anyone
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you may not be the intended recipient,
please destroy and/or delete this correspondence and the attachment(s).