Snort mailing list archives

Re: Best practices for very high volume install..

From: "Crook, Parker" <Parker_Crook () reyrey com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:04:34 -0500

Just wanted to throw in my $0.02... If you're issue is the Snort process consuming your CPU and dropping rules, I've
gotten some pretty performance gains from using different configuration files based on vlans and subnets and taskset it
to specific processors.  Of course I did this so I can enable different rulesets for the specific environments instead
of systemically applying all rules that fit within the organization.  By surgically setting my rulesets to be
appropriate for each well-defined subnet, I got not only better packet stats, but a better tuned system.

-Parker