Snort mailing list archives

I'm overwhelmed by all this, but determined. Perhaps a little direction?

From: Barry Demers <sdad46 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:31:37 -0500

Brand new to snort, and the massive amount of info available.  I want to
build up an inline config, but in looking at the user manual (2.9) I
find nothing.  Then I found 2.8.6 and found references.  I then went to
find differences between 2.9 and 2.8.6 figuring that maybe inline is
being treated differently. Couldn't locate anything.  Google repeats
over and over again how to set up a bare bones sniffer, or they are
incredibly out of date.

Is there a way for me to see the various install config options for 2.9,
I guess?  Should I stay with 2.8.6 because of the increased level of
documentation?   I would like to incorporate features that may be useful
to me, but I can't seem to find out what they might be.  Is there a way
to get the slides and a transcript of the install webinar? Found other
webinars, but for sure I'm not to that level yet. Can I do an inline
from a binary install?

My goal is to get the basic system in  place so that I can play myself
and make mods to the conf file, etc and see for myself.  What I would
appreciate is getting the basic inline system in place with compile time
options out of the way.

Thank you to whomever takes their time to respond.