Snort mailing list archives

Minor corrections to the 2.9.0.2 manual

From: <Joshua.Kinard () us-cert gov>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:46:13 -0500

Hi snort-devel,

Noticed some additional errors in the Snort-2.9.0.2 manual for ssl_state
and ssl_version.  However, the LaTeX source in the 2.9.0.2 distribution
does not match the actual rendered PDF that is included.  The PDF's
rendering date (06/23/2010) is also mismatched versus 2.9.0.1's copy
(10/08/2010).  So, I'm uncertain which LaTeX source I should use to diff
a patch against.  Since they're minor corrections, I'll just list them
here instead:

snort-2.9.0.2/doc/snort_manual.pdf, page 79, ssl_version block:

"To check for two SSL versions in use simultaneously, multiple ssl
version rule options should be used."
Change to (added "or more", added underscore)
"To check for two or more SSL versions in use simultaneously, multiple
ssl_version rule options should be used."

snort-2.9.0.2/doc/snort_manual.pdf, page 80, ssl_version example:

- Remove space after delimiting colon.
- Add semi-colon after rule option examples.

snort-2.9.0.2/doc/snort_manual.pdf, page 80, ssl_state block:

"To ensure the connection is reached each of a set of states, multiple
ssl state rule options should be used."
Change to (changed "is" to "has", added underscore)
"To ensure the connection has reached each of a set of states, multiple
ssl_state rule options should be used."

snort-2.9.0.2/doc/snort_manual.pdf, page 80, ssl_state example:

- Remove space after delimiting colon.
- Add semi-colon after rule option examples.

Of note, the LaTeX source for the 2.9.0.2 manual, for ssl_state's
description, states the following (instead of the original sentence
corrected above):

"To ensure the connection has reached each of a set of states, multiple
rules using the ssl_state rule option should be used."

This conflicts with the rendered PDF, which says to use multiple rule
options, NOT multiple rules.  The CVS copy reflects the LaTeX source, so
I'm uncertain of which is the correct usage of this option.  Multiple
rules, each with a maximum of ONE ssl_state rule option, or a single
rule with MULTIPLE ssl_state options?

Thanks,

--J