Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0.1 & OpenBSD 4.8 build problems

From: Ross Lawrie <ross () riverstyx net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:56:05 -0800

On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 01:00 -0500, Randal T. Rioux wrote:
FYI, daq-0.4 works without issue on OpenBSD 4.8 using the following
procedure:

# ./configure --disable-ipfw-module \
  --with-libpcap-includes=/usr/local/include \
  --with-libpcap-libraries=/usr/local/lib \
  --with-dnet-includes=/usr/local/include \
  --with-dnet-libraries=/usr/local/lib
# make && make install

Hi Randal,

Just wondering if you could provide any tips on how your installation
worked?  DAQ seems to install, but upon doing a make on snort I see
these errors which result in the .so files not being created:

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib
archive /usr/local/lib/libdaq_static.la.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
*** But as you try to build a module library, libtool will still create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
application
*** is linked with the -dlopen flag to resolve symbols at runtime.

Which results in this error when trying to start Snort:

FATAL ERROR: parser.c(5244) Could not stat dynamic module path
"/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so": No such file or
directory.

Libtool is installed, v1.5.26p4.  I've installed libpcap from source
(v1.1.1) and don't seem to have any issues with libdnet (v1.12); both I
installed with just the default ./configure && make && make install.
DAQ gets recognized by Snort configure as long as I run built it with
--disable-ipfw-module.

I've built a fresh install of OpenBSD 4.8 and encountered all the same
issues, just not sure what it is I'm not doing.

Thanks,

Ross.