Snort mailing list archives

Re: Linux recommendations

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 17:57:13 +0000

On 11/9/2010 4:16 PM, Castle, Shane wrote:
I have been using RHEL5 x86_64 quite well up until the last batch of
Snort upgrades, starting with 2.8.6.1, when RHEL5 was no longer a viable
platform (the SnortSam mods were the first issue, and then there was
2.9.0). I know, there are additions that can be made to RHEL5 to make
2.9.0/2.9.0.1 work, but then the "just run yum" feature no longer will
work for the mods, and SnortSam's requirements with the whole
autoconf/libtool issue mean that I can't use RHEL5 at all. So, unless I
want to hold out for RHEL6, I have to start looking for a Linux platform
replacement.

The hardware I'm using is a 4-core Intel Xeon 3.20GHz, 8GB, and a RAID 0
disk arrangement. I've been eying Fedora 14, but it is really geared
more toward the desktop world than the server world.

So, what recommendations can I solicit from the Snort user community?

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT

We like Ubuntu Server LTS, current is 10.04:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

Nice thing about Ubuntu LTS is the five year release cycle. More info here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Server/TechSpecs/1004LTS

It is nice to know that you aren't going to have to do full OS upgrades
every year or so.

-- Eoin