Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] Snort 2.9.0.1 Now Available

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 21:15:30 -0400

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

On 11/3/2010 10:54, Joel Esler wrote:

This is for /rules/, remember.  Current version, and one back is the
standard.
We'll take a look at the life cycle, wording, and policy on the website to
see
if any modifications need to be made to clarify anything.
We can't bring the 2.9.0 or 2.9.0.1 improvements back to 2.8.x.  2.9.0 was
a big
rewrite of the stream model (and many other things) and bringing back the
code
to 2.8 would, as I said, be a monumental undertaking.  That's why 2.9 was
released.

with the major changes that 2.9 brought, it really should have been 3.0...
i never have understood the aversion to two digit minor, subminor and
subsubminor numbering with snort... some stuff could easily have been
X.2.15.3 or such... this numbering stuff is one of the things, as i see it,
that is causing problems with supporting older versions and being able to
backport some fixes... yes, i know... i've been there a few times myself and
in the middle of such now but there are ways to handle it when necessary...

several of my projects are current stuck at 2.8.6.1 with NO WAY to move
forward due to the forced updates in certain sources that snort has gone...
it bites huge uglies and many of my clients are extremely upset... you don't
hear it but i sure do :( :( :(

What, specifically, are the "forced updates in certain sources" you are
referring to?